Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

The Pleasing Rewards of a Job well-done

It's been said that going into a divorce that you've not prepared yourself for is like knowing you're going to get in a car accident and not being able to put on a seatbelt.  I felt that way, around this time, last year.  All of the Financial responsibility fell on my husband in our marriage and in the end, that was really scary. I was hugely pregnant, at home alone with a 1 year old, stubbornly clinging to the expectation that at some point, he would man up and be the head of household that I expected he would naturally want to be.  I had painted myself into a corner, that without him, I couldn't get out of. But I had to. And that's how self-sufficiency got on my list this year.  I wanted to loosen my dependencies and strengthen myself.


As I started to lead my own life, I discovered that taking back the tasks that I'd been turning over to other people was saving me time and bringing me joy. This description, from the book How to Sew a Button's home page says it just right: "Nowadays, many of us “outsource” basic tasks. Food is instant, ready-made, and processed with unhealthy additives. Dry cleaners press shirts, delivery guys bring pizza, gardeners tend flowers, and, yes, tailors sew on those pesky buttons. But life can be much simpler, sweeter, and richer—and a lot more fun, too! As your grandmother might say, now is not the time to be careless with your money, and it actually pays to learn how to do things yourself!"

I love the feeling of doing something that I never even thought about doing for myself.  I cherish the hard earned confidence that no matter what, I can make it work.
Self-sufficiency is a mindset.
 

With faith, determination and hard work, you can do anything.  I believe that. I learned that by doing things I'd never done before: renting my own u-haul, packing and unpacking myself, cooking at home all of the time, walking places, fixing my car, assembling stuff!  If you want to feel better about yourself quickly, try doing something hard.
                             
but also:
Thank goodness for the support of family, unexpected kindness from strangers and the grace of God.  

Deuteronomy 8:2-3


No comments:

Post a Comment